As I’ve gotten older, my daily style has become much simpler, streamlined, and often….boring. In the summer, it’s especially hard for me, because I continue to wear neutral colors without being able to layer to add dimension. My one saving grace for the hottest months of the year is that I have a fantastic collection of summer jewelry. My favorite is a pair of earrings that I bought at a vintage store when I was 15 – costume jewelry at its best.
But alas, I think it’s time to find some new pieces to add to my collection and add a little flair to my August and September wardrobes. When it hits 105 degrees here in Brooklyn, I’ll be sporting some of the hottest baubles in town, keeping in mind scale as that’s key when buying jewelry for plus size women like myself.
1. If you haven’t checked out Etsy for jewelry, you should. You absolutely should. One-of-a kind, handmade—it’s the way to go.
Tassel Statement Necklace Palm Tree
2. Urban Outfitters? Really? I can’t fit into their clothes, but I sure can fit into this lovely statement necklace handmade in Nepal.
Gypsy Heart Statement Necklace
3. If I dared to dream, I would have a better reason than vanity to give this gift to myself. What girl doesn’t want some Tiffany & Co. in her jewelry box?
Olive Leaf Ring
4. It’s called the Zuma Beach Bangle. Enough said. Thank you again, Banana Republic.
Zuma Beach Bangle
5. Elizabeth Knight is a talented designer based out of Williamsburg, NY, and her metalwork is exquisite. The Hera Earring is perfect for summer and the transitional months. Make sure to check out her other pieces as well, especially if you like to mix and match sets and metals.