While you might have loved the flowing, simple looks of summer, you may also be looking forward to the more complex patterns of fall. Fall is the time to layer and to accessorize, and you can do both of those things with scarves. Done right they’ll make you look slim, sleek and totally on-trend. So what to look for? A few things:
• First, consider the weight of your scarf. If you are top heavy or pairing yours with a thick, bulky coat, keep your scarf light. This doesn’t mean that you need to shiver your way through November, though! Look into a light cashmere scarf or a soft silk. Stick with natural fibers, and you can relieve some of the weight while still staying toasty warm. Can you ever go wrong with Hermes?
• If you have a very long, very thin scarf, consider wearing it in a lark’s head knot. Fold the scarf in half along the width and throw it over your shoulders. Pull the two loose ends through the loop at the middle and tighten it slightly. This is a great way to wear your scarf without losing it.
• This year, skip the fringed scarves. Fringed scarves don’t add nearly as much flutter or life to an outfit as you might think, and in many cases, they can make your head-to-toe look too busy.
• There are some fantastic scarf colors out there this year, and while some women love to go bright, it seems that the smart money is going to be on warm colors with a slightly bluish cast like plum or lavender. The Shauna Printed Scarf comes in two great colors.
• Looking for something uniquely you? Think charmeuse silk. Charmeuse has a luxurious drape and a gorgeous shine, and though it can be a little slippery to wear, the end result is a wonderful accessory that goes well with anything. To keep it simple, choose a charmeuse scarf in black or brown, but if you want something really special, look for scarves that have been skillfully painted with flowers or geometric patterns like the Striped Satin Charmeuse Scarf from American Apparel.
• Wondering about patterns? Scarves are designed to add contrast to an outfit. If your outfit has a pattern, choose a solid scarf. If your clothes are plain, a pattern of some sort can really spice it up. We’re seeing a lots of geometric shapes this year, though they are fairly small ones. Look for a houndstooth scarf in traditional black and gray or even a bright jewel tone to add some dress up a casual look. We love this Bianca Houndstooth Scarf from Banana Republic in three rich colors. Want a more traditional houndstooth look? Try J. Crew’s classic wool version.